Nomination forms are available for grants from the St. Luke’s Endowment Fund for Mission. The amount available for grants be known early in January. As long as a $100,000 base is maintained, each year 2% of the year-end value of the Endowment Fund and 20% of that year’s new contributions to the fund may be given as disbursement grants to suggested projects that meet these criteria:
- Outreach into the community and synod, including but not limited to, grants to the ELCA seminaries, colleges or students attending such schools, social service agencies, institutions and agencies designed for persons in our parish who are in spiritual and/or economic need.
- ELCA benevolent missions in the USA or world wide, including but not limited to, grants to the LCA for new congregational development, professional leadership, educational ministries, global mission, ecumenism, social ministries and capital financing.
- Evangelism, including causes and programs which are consistent with the Endowment Fund’s purpose of enhancing the mission of outreach, mission support and evangelism in this congregation.
- Capital expenditures for St. Luke’s Lutheran Church, up to 25% of the allocated amount may be used for the purpose of making a distribution to a special fund set up by the congregation for capital expenditures.
Capital expenditures for St. Luke’s Lutheran Church St. Luke’s Endowment Fund for Mission began in 2001 with a bequest from Ruth Peterson in the amount of $36,000. With that gift, St. Luke’s Council established our Endowment Fund and set a goal of $100,000 before disbursements would be made. That goal was reached in seven years from only 15 individuals. Ruth’s initial bequest was the largest received during the first ten years, but other bequests and gifts to the Fund allowed it to grow so that the first grants were made in 2007.
Nomination forms should be submitted to the Endowment Fund Chair, Lara Miller by December 31, 2016. Email requests are preferred. A link to the request form is included below. Save the form to your desktop, fill it out and then send it as an attachment by email to Lara Miller. Forms are also available in the church office.
In February of 2016 a total of $25,165 was made available and, the Congregational Council approved requests for the following purposes:
- Carlson Community Services Magic After School Place program
- Concordia Place Scholarship Fund
- Debt reductions for St. Luke’s Capital Campaign
- Global Links Team for annual Bread for the World Membership
- ELCA Missionary Support
- Outreach and Community Service Cabinet for printing costs for updated St. Luke’s brochure,
- Park Ridge Human Needs Task Force
- LSSI Backpack Project
- Sunday Night Supper Ministry
- South Loop Campus Ministry
- Luke’s Immersion Trip to Oak Indian Mission
- Student Scholarships for the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians
- Worship and Music Cabinet for Good Friday Service musicians